The start of a new year is a great time for resolutions. For this year's resolution, why not make some promises to yourself about your home? Make a list of your top home priorities for 2016 and enjoy that feeling of satisfaction when they're done. These five tips will help get you started!
1. It's an excellent time to get a handle on your home insurance, review your policy and make sure it still fits your home's needs. Contacting your insurance company may also reveal some savings too! Bundling home and auto insurance, for example, can often save money.
2. January is also a great time to review home safety. Replace the batteries and test your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Having one smoke detector per floor and at least one carbon monoxide detector is a requirement of most home insurance policies.
3. Another great goal is paying off your mortgage more quickly! Are you getting the best rate possible? Can you add an extra payment or increase your monthly payment to really make a dent in that principal? Contact your mortgage holder and have a conversation about how you can best meet your specific mortgage goals.
4. How about improving your home's energy efficiency this year? Maybe it's time to replace those old inefficient incandescent with some superefficient CFLs or LEDs. Most hardware stores carry an excellent selection. Also, add a power strip to electronics to defeat phantom load - the energy still being used even when devices are turned off.
5. And perhaps most satisfying is decluttering! Consider choosing one room a week, or even just one closet, to organize and declutter. Donate anything you haven't used in a year (or never liked anyway!). You'll be amazed at how much more space you have.